Tuesday, June 8, 2010

We finally did it!

About a week and a half ago we were finally able to turn in all we had collected! After some mishaps, like Steven being on crutches, mice friends in the garage, and no way to actually transport all we had, we were able to work it all out and make a grand trip to the recycling center. With some helping hands from Uncle Brian and Auntie Angela, we unloaded, totaled up and the final count was.......
$72.00!!! Sydney was thrilled! Now, most of your are probably thinking, that $72 doesn't sound like much but I figure for approximately 2 months worth of work, that's not bad for a 6 year old!
We talked back and forth where this money would go and who it may best serve. Sydney wants to build houses for the homeless but I told her we have a little more work to do to make that one happen. We decided that the Lord would lead us in the direction He wanted the money to go. So, we sat on it for a week then He lead someone our way.
 Last saturday I was doing my weekly grocery shopping trip and met a woman in the parking lot of Ralphs. Between her broken english and my broken spanish we were able to communicate enough to realize she legitimately needed a helping hand. She also had a baby son with her, probably almost one. I gave her a little money and then asked if she need any diapers. ( Side note, if your CVS isn't already cleared out, they have Huggies mega packs,, Pampers mega packs and cvs brand diapers all clearenced to 75% off. Needless to say I have a TON of diapers) So, of course she did. I told her to wait for me and I'd be right back. I ran home and piled diapers and baby products I had gotten free or super cheap from all the coupon crazyness into the car, grabbed Sydney and jetted back to Ralphs. Sydney and I decided to give her a Ralphs Gift card for $70.00.
Thank you to everyone who donated their recyclables. A tiny gesture went a long way for that lady and her son. By the way, her name is Alisa (A-lee-sa). I told her I would be praying for her. I would love for you to join me in prayer. Pray for wisdom as she navigates life attempting to provide the basics for her son and herself. Pray for her salvation if she does not already know the Lord. And also that others would show her kindness and compassion along the way.
Thanks again for all your generosity! We are still collecting so keep it up! Call us if you want us to pick it up or just bring your recyclables next time we see you!

1 comment:

  1. Seriously... amazing! I dont' know how you do all you do.

    ReplyDelete